Thursday, November 8, 2012

Electric Funeral Concert (Action and Creativity)


Electric Funeral


Electric funeral is a concert organized by a guy called Lasith Fernando, he is a very well known guy in the music industry in Sri lanka. This concert was held in New auditorium Theater, the tickets were 400 rs and on the day of the concert a lot of people showed up. Every band got 45 minutes to play, which meant that as a band we had to play any amount of songs that would fit into 45 minutes, this also included the set up time on stage. I played guitar for a band called "Blood Brothers". we played 4 songs of which i played in three of them and i played lead guitar for the three songs. In order to be perfect we had to practice a lot, but unfortunately due to people having other plans we only got practice as a whole band 3 times, but the practices we did were very good and long practices which lasted about 6 hours to 4 hours.

 We were told to go to sound check at 12 o clock in the afternoon. We went there on time for the sound check as from experience our whole band knew that sound check is very important to sound good. Unfortunately the sound guy arrived at 3 o clock and the concert was meant to start at 5 o clock which meant that only two bands got the sound check, and the bands that got to do the sound check were the headlining two bands, a band called "Rage" and "Angel Down". From the sound check we knew that the two headlining bands were very good and i personally got very intimidated to play. There was nothing to do but suck it up and do my best and contribute to the band.






 The goals i set before i played the concert were

- To show perseverance and commitment, because eventhough we got to practice as a band only 3 times, I did practice alone for a long time and also with the other guitarist, as we both had to get our timings right.

- One other goal was also to work collaboratively with the rest of the band. Which meant helping them out in learning the guitar parts and also accepting help from the other band members.

- My goal was also to develop my guitar skills, as the band i was playing for was very good it was a very good chance for me to learn from them.

- I also had to be aware of my strengths and weaknesses in this area, and to keep my strengths going and to do my best to improve my weaknesses. One of the weaknesses i notice was my stage presence, this has always being a problem for ever since my first band. The only way to improve on my stage presence was to watch other people play like Metallica as there stage presence has bee always very good. And that's what I did, i watched a lot of concerts from you tube and  i tried to improve my stage presence.

 

The song list for us was Living on a prayer by Bon Jovi, Enter sandman by Metallica and the evil that men do by Iron Maiden. Below is a video of us playing Enter sandman by Metallica. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment